Saturday, August 24, 2013

Being Challenged



This afternoon I decided to change up my workout routine. I am normally a runner and there is not much I love more then a good hard run that leaves you in a puddle of sweat and feeling like your invincible. I have a friend who is doing an Epic Transformation Challenge which is all about targeting the fat burning zone while training and maximizing fat loss. I'm one of those people that think if I haven't got my heart rate pumping, then I didn't really get the most out of my workout, and I can get my heart rate up super easy! I'm talking 200bpm. But my friend was saying the aim of her training program was to keep her heart rate between 120-130bpm throughout the whole work out. She was doing this by hiking up the incline on the treadmill with a relatively slow speed.

So I thought I would give it a go - not only change to walking instead of running, but adding in hills which I'm not the biggest fan of, and trying to target my heart rate between 120-130bpm. And challenge me it did, trying to relax and keep my heart rate down was probably the hardest bit as it just keep creeping up. And by the end of my 45 minute walk on an incline of 9.5 with speeds varying between 4-5 I was pretty tired!!

To continue my day of challenge, it was my first session being moved to the advance yoga class at my gym. I haven't really been doing yoga that long, only a few month, but have been blessed with good flexibility, so I took to Yoga pretty well. In this class it was much more self paced compared to the other class I was in and each person was constantly being pushed and challenge with different poses. I thought I felt good at the end of the old class, but by the end of this one I felt like I had achieved so much more and was finally challenging my flexibility which is something nothing has really come close to in the past with my long history of dancing and gymnastics. I now had goals for my strength and flexibility and had something to aim for.

What can I say, a very challenging day!

No comments:

Post a Comment