Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Providing Guidance



My old school, Penrhos, was holding a careers morning for the current year 12 students where Alumni members of many different years on many different career paths were asked back for a morning where the students could ask about their profession to help them in choosing their preferences for their post school career path.

I was rep'ing Physio, and by far the youngest alumni member there. Which I think worked in my favour. To my group of girls interested in Health Science, particularly Physio, I explained the many paths of Physio public vs. private, the different disciplines and what we are able to do and what is not really in our scope of practice. When I turned it back onto them for questions, they seemed to be concerned about the Uni course such as the course difficulty, exams, how uni life worked etc. which was interesting to me.

I would have thought that before you got into the nitty gritty about the actually course, you would be interested in know what type of career your getting yourself into - whether I explained that well enough that they had no further questions, or they were truly only interested in the uni side of things. This is how I feel I had the edge over other ladies at the function, I was the latest out of uni and could remember how the lifestyle was, in it's most recent state.

Regardless of what we spoke about at my table for health science, it seems like my girls walked away from the morning with a greater understanding of a career as a Physiotherapist, the scope available to us and how achieving a Physio degree goes throughout uni life. I was grateful to have the opportunity to inspire and educate these girls at what can be a hugely stressful and confusing time and to give them some guidance about what they could potentially end up doing for the next few years or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment