Friday, November 15, 2013

Rock Tape


Kinesiology Tape/KinesioTape/Rock Tape is relatively new to Physio treatment. There are thousands of ways to tape different muscle, movements, restrictions, facilitations and stimulations and every Physio will have a different way of taping.

As with anything new that comes onto the market, some people are very sceptical about the tape, whether it works or whether it is all in our heads. I love the stuff. I have been using it personally for over 5 years now to help manage my own injuries, and am starting to use it more and more in practice on my patients as well. Given there are some people who don't really think it helped them or facilitated them very much, but there are more people I treat that agree with me and love it.

The idea is to apply the tape in the direction of the line of pull of the muscle (to prevent fatigue and allow recovery of a muscle) or in the direction of the movement you want to facilitate. When I put the tape on, the muscle feels instantly supported and when I use that muscle, there is less resistance and heaviness in the movement. The muscle is stimulated to remain in a shorter position, decreasing the length tension relationship and preventing the excess use of the muscles energy, letting it recover.

Some may not agree, but I personally love the stuff and it has helped me through so many injuries allowing me to keep doing what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment