Saturday, July 12, 2014

Deep Tissue


I have a reputation as a strong Physio, I show no mercy. One of my regulars is this lovely lady - my old open water training partner. And she is one that I can seriously unleash on. Because she needs it. I get a lot of athletes come to me because of this and these are the people I love to treat. Those who like to push their body as hard as they can - these are the people I want to help get further and achieve their goals because their are not afraid to push their limits.

I see this chick pretty regularly and often do things a little differently each time I see her, depending on what she's feeling and what her training has been focused on. This can also change her response to treatment. I have had everything from screaming and crying, swearing and Hail Mary's, kicking, pulling and rolling off the table. I have been known to physically pin her down - in the nicest way possible. But then we can have other sessions where by her standards, she is relatively quiet.

Today it was lower limb. She has increased her running and sprinting recently and is starting to feel the onset of shin splints from over use. Over use = great deals of muscle tightness = sooooo much noise! Today would have been the loudest by far that she has ever been in a treatment session. There was NO holding back. Swearing, screaming, kicking, trying to roll and pull away from me wherever possible. It was highly entertaining.

People and treatment sessions like this one remind me why I love my job. Not just because I am paid to hurt people, but because I get to help people recover and go on performing well in their chosen discipline. No pain no gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment