Monday, December 16, 2013

A New Direction


3 months ago, I thought I had my career path all mapped out. I had a 5 year plan and the steps in place to get me there. Throughout the last few years of high school and all through uni I knew I wanted to finish my degree and become registered in BC Canada to move over there and work, indefinitely. Which is why it was only a 5 year plan...I would reassess when I got there. In May of this year, I applied for the Alliance of Canadian Physiotherapy to start the registration process.

I knew it was going to be a long, time consuming and expensive application and I had heard stories about people getting fed up with the board and changing their pathway, but I was sure it was what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. So I went back to uni, paid my fees to get my transcripts and all the stuff I needed from them, got together all the supporting documents and had them all officiated by a Notary Public member (more money) and sent them off. There was a lot of back and forth about signing in the correct places, etc. and finally I was accepted as eligible to sit the exams BUT before I could do any of this, I needed to complete a 10 week online health systems course.

I was starting to second guess my decision. Did I really have it in me to fork out another $4000 plus all the travel and accommodation expenses to finish this, potentially 3 years later? I was also starting to question my profession as well. I like working as a Physio and helping people return to activity and achieve their goals, but I wanted more. Something that has played at the back of my mind for a while now...becoming a Personal Trainer. This would involve me more in the side of health and fitness that I love.

So after a good two weeks of tossing up between continuing my application which would not teach me anything new and take a lot of time stress and money, and becoming a certified personal trainer, the PT course won and I applied. The best thing being, this course is internationally recognised so can still go with it to Canada is that's what I decide in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment