Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Good Veins


I have to get regular blood tests done and I'm not the biggest fan of needles. Growing up when we had to get vaccinations done, Mum tried various approaches to try and limit my scream crying and protesting...and spare the others in the waiting room.

She would try telling me weeks in advance to give me time to get my head around it, she would try not telling me what we were doing and that we were going to the doctors for her appointment not mine. There was bribery and there were distractions. I don't know what worked best for her...probably none of the above.

Now that I'm grown up (apparently), still not a fan of needles and I'm having quite a few of them, but I manage to hold myself together in the waiting room. I've always know that I have quite prominent veins which along with my great habit of drinking a lot of water, makes taking my blood a hell of a lot easier. As was complimented to me today by the phlebotomist who regularly takes my blood. Only ever one attempt at getting the needle into the vein and the blood tends to pour out pretty quickly.

But the big I think that's worse then the needle going in is when they change the canister. The lady I normally see for my blood tests is very good at what she does, but even so I can still feel the needle shift just slightly in my arm as the canisters are changed, and I have to go through around 4 each time.

But every time I go, I am SOOOO thankful for my good veins, I don't think I could handle more then one poke with that needle!

No comments:

Post a Comment