Sunday, May 25, 2014

HBF Run


Today was the annul HBF Run For A Reason with a 12km and 4km event. Growing bigger every year, tens of thousands of people made their way into the heart of Perth City this morning to be a part of this great event.

Given the event next week that I am training for, I was coming into this run a little underprepared as I have been focusing on the strength and technique training and let the running slide back a little over the past three weeks. That, and coming off the back of a big team training session yesterday, rested was one thing I was definitely not. But hey you can't be 100% prepared for everything you throw yourself into.

I got dropped somewhat close to the City and walked in further to the start line. Got into my divisions starting shoot and started trying to weave my way closer to the front of the A wave. Getting almost as close as I would like to be, I heard my name being called. Turned around to see a fellow Peaking Duck standing nervously in the corner.

Starting out in the world of running this was her first ever fun run and using her words, she was 'shitting bricks'. Bless her! So I took her under my wing, walked her up to the start with me and imparted some of my worldly advice. 'Set your own pace, let others go around you, one foot in front of the other and you will make it'.

Despite my less then perfect prep leading into the day, I still managed to run a decent time of 52mins 02 secs for the 12km, although the legs were heavy from all the air bike, ergo and Olympic lifting the were punished with yesterday. But I was just happy to be there and part of such a great event with an even better cause. Oh and my little duckie killed it with a wicked time of 56 mins...so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment