Saturday, June 28, 2014

Gloves


Winter is well and truly here, and comes with it - the very cold mornings. We have had a run of two degree minimums here for the past week, and as a self confessed morning lover, I am out there in them!

I made the mistake a couple of days ago, when the current temp was 1.6 degrees to go for a run. I had finished with my boxing class and I was my turn to get something done, so before I even stopped to think about what I was doing for even a second, I pulled of my first layer of pants and the two jumpers I was wearing and threw myself out of the gym heading down towards the foreshore. I was aiming for around 7-8km today and while running, my body felt up to it....everything that is, except my hands.

From the moment I stepped outside that gym door, they were no longer functioning, and my fingers were cold swollen painful sausages that were hanging off my almost as painful palms. They were of no use what so ever. Refusing the pain at the end of my arms to stop me, I did manage to pull out my desired 8km, but what I didn't manage to do was start my car when I got back. No matter how hard and in how many different ways my brain was telling my hands to turn the key to start the ignition, my hands just could not find the strength, nor feel the key that matter to do so!

Jump forward a few days to this morning where I has Tough Mudder training up in Kings Park - where temperatures, not matter whether they are hot or cold, seem to be amplified. The session duration being 45 minutes this morning, I thought it would take me the full 45 minutes to warm up. So I decided to run there, probably only 5 or 6km. But after Wednesdays big mistake and my loss of productivity that came with it, I remember to shove on my running gloves before pushing myself out the door.

So happy I did because I got to the training location and it was reported to me that it was 2 degrees, there was frost on the ground and the first thing we were doing was burpees....warm hands for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment